Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Jonah!

Brett and I read Jonah chapter 1 together last night and a few things caught our attention. One, Jonah ran from God. A prophet, whose job it was to be sensitive to God and had the understanding of consequences when and if you were disobedient, RAN from God. And two, the struggles and ultimately the repentence that Jonah experienced literally turned him around (via the giant fish) and headed him back toward Nineveh to do what God had called him to do in the first place.

What a picture of God's grace in light of such blatent disobedience. In chapter two I read Jonah's prayer and realize there are some key words there that Jonah uses. He talks about not experience God's grace because of our attention and devotion to other idols. What idols do I have in my life that keep me from knowing and feeling the grace of God? He also says that Salvation comes from the Lord. So in times of confusion, fear and frustration I'm going to remember these two things: I could be robbing myself of the grace of God by putting other idols first and that salvation only comes from the Lord. I can't save myself.

No comments: