Sunday, January 31, 2010

psychoanalysis

as i started to review sigmund freud's theory of psychoanalysis, i kept asking myself, "why do we use such dated, ridiculous information?" some of the underlying principles of freud's psychoanalysis are far-reaching and radical (in a bad way). however, some i find to be presently applicable.

i get defensive and project onto others what i don't like about myself and i also react in the opposite manner than what my instinct desires. for example, if i'm jealous i'll congratulate someone because i know that is the "right" response rather than express the bitterness of my true feelings.

so what i have determined is that i will still work toward a response to my feelings that pleases Jesus instead of my carnal response. and i will ALSO (this is the biggy) work toward understanding the root of my jealousy, anger or resentment. this will, according to psychoanalysis, allow me to think through the cause of my issue and work toward a behavioral/attitude change rather than rely on my natural, unconscious response. the word "work" was used a lot here! i don't think that is coincidence (maybe just my shallow vocabulary).

in summary, i will no longer accept the "right response" as my standard of living and loving but will strive toward a righteous, healthy heart and mind.

No comments: