Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Proverbs 31

Just for fun (haha) I felt led to read Proverbs 31 today. Not to beat myself up, but more to be reminded of what I am striving toward. I really want to be "worth more than rubies (or diamonds)" to my husband and son. And for an even more sobering effect, I am reading in The Message translation.

Well, I could take away that I need to pick up sewing and knitting but I don't think that's really the main point, even though it is mentioned in various ways throughout this passage. What I do see thought, is that this woman has a great talent in knitting and sewing and is very resourceful with this talent while maintaining the rest of her household. My talent is not necessarily sewing my own clothes, but I do like fitness and Zumba. I also care about the emotional healing of people. I can use those talents resourcefully to contribute to the world and the betterment of my home.

She wakes before dawn! Enough said! I sometimes (especially feeling the holiday hangover) don't want to wake before noon! So noon's a stretch but still, morning is a time that I long to savor but instead I struggle to get up to enjoy it. I have experienced what it is like to wake up and help Brett get going and then set myself up for success by organizing my day. But for some reason, when I'm still half asleep, I find it so hard to reason with myself that it's far better to get going than to get an extra hour or two of sleep.

And it's not just about "maintainance" in her home. She takes that extra special time to put her touch of love into the home by seeking "exotic surprises." Her husband trusts her to take care of things, as a husband should be able to do.

I could be overwhelmed with this praise of the wonderful wife that I should be, but I am not going to let that happen. I think instead I'm going to start by "facing the day with a smile." This is big for me. Lately I've been more easily toppled over by the events of the day. I've been super sensative to those around me that aren't as loving as I think people should be. I have hope. I have peace. I just need to remember where that true hope and peace come from and smile...no matter what!

No comments: