Monday, November 17, 2008

Colossians 3:1-4 God Above or Lies Below? What's it gonna be?

I almost just posted that watered down journal entry about my days this past week and the week to come. But it hit me, that's not what I feel God has asked me to do with this blog and I'd be listening to Satan if I left that as my only entry today. I'm so glad I decided to post something with substance b/c as I began to write about my reading in Colossians, I was hit with something HUGE. It's one of the biggest revelations God has EVER given me about my life with Him and I want to share it with you.

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory. Colossians 3:1-4

I need to remember that I have been raised with Christ (FACT) and I should set my heart on things above (action). I need to begin believing the facts and following through with my actions. Think about God, godliness, holiness and righteous things. Paul says again to set my mind on things above because he knows that I need to hear it twice. And for further clarification, because I often need a definitive clarification, things above are not synonymous with earthly things. I died through Christ, with Christ and what I use to KNOW to be true are lies and my faith DEPENDS on God dwelling in my heart and mind CONSTANTLY.

This is why it is SOOOOOOO important for me to exchange the minute-by-minute lies Satan wants to throw my way with second-by-second truths God has for me. God is speaking to me all day long. As soon as God speaks Satan gets louder and louder. But this is what Jesus had to say about this in John 8 in the section entitled “Children of the Devil”:

42Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and now am here. I have not come on my own; but he sent me. 43Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desire. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don't you believe me? 47He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God."

Ouch. So, that’s it. I have some serious reflecting to do as I think about who I want to listen to and if I’m ready to surrender. If I’m not ready to surrender my heart to God so that he can truly be my father, then I’m never going to hear His voice over Satan’s. I will continue to be plagued with lies not filled with truth. Thank God for his Holy Spirit who hit me with this truth that, had it come from any of my friends or my husband, I would have come out swinging. But I just feel this immense sense of gratitude to God for opening my eyes in his loving way.

No comments: