Tuesday, November 18, 2008

So yesterday I learned that listening to Satan, not God, in the small things is like giving Satan a megaphone while he sits on my shoulder. Then when it comes to the big things I've set myself up for failure, depression, anxiety, confusion and chaos! Answers a lot of questions about why I've been feeling the way I have lately about myself and the things I do. Then this leads to the bigger conviction that came from John 8, more specifically from Jesus: Am I a child of the Devil? If it weren't for grace, I'd certainly be on my way to the lake of fire for an eternal vacation. Based on the decisions I have been making in my heart about things, and some of my actions (o.k. a lot) I could be classified as a child of the Devil, working for him and listening to him. But thankfully, because of GRACE from God through Christ ALONE not only am I forgiven for all my sins and hidden in Christ (Colossians 3:3) but I have an eternity in heaven to look forward to! Thank God for that! Because even after that HUGE revelation about who I'm actually following with my heart, I STILL SINNED YESTERDAY!!!! I deliberately did what I knew I SHOULD NOT DO! Thank God, Thank God, Thank God for his grace.

I pray that today I chose to live in the way the Holy Spirit leads me to live and not take that amazing grace for granted. I desire the clarity, peace and love that comes from following Christ.

And what better follow up to Colossians 3:1-4 than Colossians 3:5-17! Seriously, it's an instruction manual on what NOT to do and what to do in my life if I really desire to follow God!

"5Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.[b] 7You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. 9Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.
12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."


So I highlighted the instructions in orange. There are so many specific directions I am given in this passage. "renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator" stands out to me b/c it re-emphasizes that I'm to let go of what makes sense to my sinful nature and allow my new self to embrace who I am in the image of God, not based on the image man desires for itself.

Well, Trently is ready to eat and up from his nap! I'm so grateful for all that I have to chew on today and I PRAY that I will be a better listener to the Holy Spirit and stop grieving it!!!

No comments: